Cold laser is a newer and very sophisticated form of therapy for musculoskeletal injuries of all sorts. LASER, or Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, uses a concentrated beam of light that is absorbed by the body and has significant physiological effects. Laser is used to treat muscles, tendons, fascia, connective tissue, nerves, bones, and joints. It helps with both pain reduction/management and tissue healing and the application is very safe. Many universities and most high professional sports teams have practitioners who utilize lasers to help their athletes.
In my office, I use Multi Radiance’s new MR4 laser, which is considered by many to be the best laser on the market. With other laser units, application is almost guesswork. This is not the case with the MR4. The MR4 has a unique LaserStim head that helps identify tissues with abnormal electrical conductance, thus enabling the treatment to be used over the exact areas of injuries. This is a huge advance in technology and only Multi Radiance offers this feature!
Regarding research and laser, most all of the literature is positive. There are a few negative studies but it is important to point out that they tend to discuss lower powered laser. The MR4 is not low power. In fact, it is one of the highest-powered lasers on the market. At this time, there are over 100 double-blind studies confirming the positive effects of laser therapy and over 300 research reports have been published. Research continues around the world as the therapeutic effects of laser is continuing to be discovered.
What are some conditions treated by Cold Laser Therapy?
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Rotator cuff tear
- Back pain
- Skin problems
- ...and many more!
What are some benefits of Cold Laser Therapy?
- Virtually No Contra-Indications
- Easy to Apply
- No Side Effects or Pain
- Very Safe
- Cost Effective for Practitioner and Patient
- Highly Effective for Patient (more than 90% efficacy)
- Superior Alternative to: Analgesics, NSAID’s, Other Medications, Other Modalities
- Reduces Need for Surgery
What are some biological effects of Cold Laser Therapy?
- Rapid Cell Growth — Laser light accelerates cellular reproduction and growth.
- Faster Wound Healing — Laser light stimulates fibroblast development and accelerates collagen synthesis in damaged tissue.
- Increased Metabolic Activity — Higher outputs of specific enzymes, greater oxygen and food particle loads for blood cells and thus greater production of the basic food source for cells, Adenosine Tri-Phosphate (ATP).
- Reduced Fibrous Tissue Formation — Laser light reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage from: cuts, scratches, burns or post surgery.
- Anti-Inflammatory Action — Laser light reduces swelling caused by bruising or inflammation of joints to give enhanced joint mobility.
- Increased Vascular Activity — Laser light induces temporary vasodilation increasing blood flow to damaged areas.
- Stimulated Nerve Function — Slow recovery of nerve function in damaged tissue can result in “dead” limbs or numb areas. Laser light speeds the process of nerve cell reconnection to bring the numb areas back to life.
When I began going to Lisa for my Cold Laser Therapy Treatments, I was filled with hope. I have an old surgery, 40 years old, that has developed scar tissue and arthritis in my knee. I was amazed when, within a few short weeks, I was descending down stairs with so much more flexibility and no pain. I would often take the elevator down before. I can even kneel on my knees now. I have not been able to do that in years without pain. Also, we went through a really cold spell after the treatments started. I usually experience a lot of pain in my knee when it is really cold. This time I did not and was pleasantly surprised. These treatments also helped relieve the pain I had with plantar fasciitis. I recommend Cold Laser to anyone who has any kind of pain in the joints. I also recommend Lisa. She is very kind and caring and really finds joy in seeing her patients receive relief from pain. Thanks Lisa.
~ Alma Kramer
I received two treatment of cold laser to my thumb joints – five minutes each treatment, each thumb. I could barely stand to use my hands because the joints were so painful to move. All the supplements and anti-inflammatory medication I was taking did not help to alleviate this terrible, sharp pain, nausea-producing pain. After the cold laser treatment I was pain free and could use my hands in the garden doing pretty heavy work for two weeks. Now I am ready to come back for another set of treatments. Quite amazing results!
~ S. Harris, RN; Edmonds, WA